Thursday, June 16, 2011

Walking Day 17...

I have had a lovely telephone conversation with Rachael & Roberto this evening which has rounded off a good day! Roberto had rung me an hour before whilst I was still walking. It was very uplifting to hear his voice but we decided to call each other once I had reached the end of the walk.

First of all this morning I found another helpful bus driver who was happy to stop in exactly the same spot as I had embarked yesterday! I then walked a couple of miles before telephoning Naomi to ask her to try & get me a Doctors appointment in Lockerbie. The blistered left heel had possibly developed an infection!? She did even better! An appointment had been made for Johnstonbridge which was a quarter of a mile away! Very nice Doc provided antibiotics & dressings & free prescriptions in Scotland!!
Larger dressing made all the difference and good progress was made until I arrived in Lockerbie.
I'm not sure the locals like it but Lockerbie is best known because of the tragic PanAm flight 103. I thought I would pay a visit to the garden of remembrance on the western outskirts of the town. Standing alone within the garden reading various plaques & memorials was emotionally stirring.
I then went inside the information centre which was hosted by a local woman who knew more than most about the disaster & she shared much information with me without any untasteful details!
My detour meant a change of route for second half of day and I now know that the walk back into town would have been the best option. 12 miles later I arrived at tonight's accommodation! It could have been 10!!
The B&B couple were on their way out so offered me the holiday cottage rather than a poky room within their house! There was also a plate of Spaghetti Bolognese going spare which I was offered. BINGO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment